Homemade BBQ Ketchup -“ideal for sweetpotato fries”
A huge inspiration by avantgardevegan and his bbq marinade for his bbq jackfruit tacos. So we decided to recreate a ketchup for our beloved sweet potato fries and it turned out great.
I dont know how it is for you but I always have been more of a ketchup person rather than mayo, although the Yin & Yang Mayo from the coleslaw stuffed Kumpir as amazing as well.
Find the recipe for it here: https://www.truefoodsblog.com/recipe/kumpir-with-coleslaw-and-yin-yang-mayonnaise-yin-yang-in-balance/
Other than regular ketchup this version has way less sugar as well as a strong flavor due to the dried sage in it.If you wonder how and where to get one: well, sage basically grows everywhere, you take a bunch and hang it over a dry space and let this rest for about one week.
I personally have a grinder for spices which is super useful but for this, as you are blending it anyway, you can also just throw in the whole leaves.
Hope you enjoy this recipe.
How you do it:
- Heat the olive oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Cut the onion and the garlic into thin cubes and start frying them until they get soft and slightly brown.
- Add the spices and stir until they are all heated through.
- Then add the tomato sugo and the liquid smoke, balsamic vinegar as well as the starch and give this a good stir.
- Blend this until everything is well combined and let this simmer for another 5 minutes-
Fil it into a disinfected glass and use within 2 weeks.