Vegan Winter Gnocchi – Sauerkraut, apples in a silky cream
Its slowly getting darker outside and I don’t know it is with you- but I start to grave some serious soul-food these days.
Time to get cozy and eat something hearty and rich. Nothing goes better with those dishes that the seasonal fermented vegetable: Sauerkraut.
This is actually a very classic dish. In Germany, we normally eat it with a potato pasta dish called “Schupfnudeln”, but as we are living in the Netherlands now, we ha to go for gnocchis.
Also, it was fairly easy to make this dish vegan (which even not makes you have such a strong stomach ache as when eating dairy cream).
So when you are wondering:
Apples, gnocchi, cream, onions & sauerkraut ?? is this nice ?
Well, I can tell you, YES! its awesome and actually has a huge addictive effect. All the flavors starting to balance each other. I know we say that a lot, but that is what sauerkraut generally does:
It balanced out with its tanginess and acidity, intesifying all flavours that is is combined with.
So how do you cook this amazing hearty winter dish at home ?!
How you do it:
- start with slicing the red onions into thin rings, followed by quartering the apples, taking the core out and cutting it into thin slices as well.
- Heat some saltwater for the gnocchis meanwhile.
- Add coconut oil to the pan and add the red onions. Fry them on medium heat until they are soft and slightly golden brown.
- Start cooking the gnocchis
- Now, add the apple slices and wait until they are slightly soft.
- Add the vegan cream and some salt and black pepper after taste (you don’t need much flavoring as all ingredients have their own distinct taste). let it simmer on low heat.
- he gnocchis should all swim on the surface by now, so remove them from the water and add them to another pan with coconut oil to fry them until they get a crunchy golden crust.
- Add the gnocchi to a bowl, add the sauce and top this off with raw sauerkraut.