Dandelion Jam – “Vegan Honey”
Dandelion Jam – “vegan honey”. I remember exactly the day when my mum and I made this jam for the first time. I remember searching dandelions in the wine yards and the grass fields around our house. How we washed the blossoms and me preparing the flowers so my mum could cook jam out of it. We also collected the young leaves and made a wild salad with cooked eggs, eatable flowers and orange. The funny thing is that when I was a kid, those recipes and extraordinary cooking of my mum almost embarrassed me. “Oh Mum! Why can’t we just eat like normal people? Some spaghetti, Nutella or normal bread is all I ask for” where the things I used to say when I was around 6 years old and perceived how other children my age used to eat.
Today, I could not be more thankful and inspired by those things. I still have a lot to learn and I can’t wait to spend more time with my mum in the garden when I visit her again. You may also know it: the things for which you may felt embarrassed of when you were a kid are now the most important to you today. I hope I can preserve as much of her knowledge as I can so I maybe can embarrass my children or nieces in the future.
So here is the recipe of my mums dandelion Jam she used to make when I was a kid. I did not know that it is also called vegan honey, but when I saw it lately I can totally see the connection to the bee product. It is slightly fruitier and less sticky but can be used for the exact same things.
If you also remember that kind of recipes with which you connect the same thoughts let us know. We would love to know them!
How you do it:
- Collect fresh and nice dandelion blossoms (200g are less than you will expect)
- Remove as much of the green then you can. It is not bad if you leave it on, it will just influence the taste a bit.
- Cook 200g of the yellow blossoms with the water for around 5 minutes.
- Let it sit for around 24 hours.
- After that, you pour the mixture over a cheesecloth to remove the blossoms.
- Add the juice of one lemon and the jam sugar.
- Stir continuously while letting it boil and let it simmer for 40 minutes.
- Fill it into good washed glasses and enjoy.
I really appreciate those old recipes. If you have a recipe to share let us know!
But for now: enjoy your vegan honey 🙂
- Dandelion blossoms 200g
- Water 1 liter
- Lemon 1 medium
- Jam Sugar 500g