Green Spelt Fritters – “Granny’s Special Fritters”
Christmas comes to its end and our bellysand hearts are full.
My favorite part of christmas is the dinner at my grandmas house. Its pure classic. The whole family meets and fights and laughts and eats. I think my grandma has the biggest share in my passion for food. Our whole younger generation of the family on my mums side is vegetarian. Other than many other granny’s mine loves it. She loves to try different recipes and reinvents classic dishes to be vegetarian.
Green Spelt Fritters counts to one of these dishes. The taste and the feeling in your mouth is definatly one of my favorites in the vegetarian cuisine.
Green spelt has its nae from the point of harvest. The spelt gets harvested before its ripest state. Next to its great taste its really good for your digestive system and does not need any toxic protection sprays on the fields.
Its a typical east-european grain. The spelt gets harvested before it developes its starch and therefore is very juicy and tastefull. Next to that it has 4mg of Iron on 100g which quite much for a grain.
Thanks Grandma Gerti for this recipe.
How you do it:
- Start with heating the olive oil in a pan and add the minced onion. Let this cook until slightly brown.
- Lower the heat and add the green spelt, constantly stiring. Add the vegetable brooth and constanly stir until you are getting a thick mash.
- Let this sit for 10 minutes.
- Add the soy sauce, spices, mustard and the two eggs and the oat flakes. Give this a good stir and form the fritters.
- Now you can either bake them in the oven for 10 minutes on 150°C or fry them in the pan until golden brown.
- They taste best with some mustard.
Tipp from Granny:
Its also really delicious with some pineapple or tomatos topped with some cheese.
- Green Spelt 200 g
- Onion 1
- Eggs organic 2
- Oats 50 g
- Vegetable Brooth 1 Cup
- Mustard 1 tbsp
- Bell Pepper Powder 1 pinch
- Salt 1 pinch
- Black Pepper 1 pinch
- Soy Sauce 1 tbsp
- Olive Oil 1 tbsp