Redwine Canned Plums – “Preserving Summer”
Redwine Canned Plums – Preserving Summer. Short but sweet introduction: Its post & pre festival time at the moment for me and Berlin Boys Time for Moritz. We both very much enjoyed our summer. Next monday i am finally visiting him in Bavaria were a lot of stories and waiting for us to be told :)) but for now – Plum season comes to its peak & if you are any like me you love plums so much you never want to come this season to an end. With this conventient method its possible to keep some summer preserved for the hard times in Winter. The recipe is from my grandma & the nice thing about it is: you can basically do it with any kind of fruit that you want !
So without any further redue – this is the recipe on how to preserve summer:
How you do it :
- First start off with sterilizing the glasses you want to use. Do this by heating water in a big pt and cook the lits and the jars for around 5 min. Try to touch them as minimal times as possible afterwards. (keep the water in the pot afterwards for later)
- Wash the plums, cut them in half and take out the pit.
- Bring the Water and the Red Wine with the Anis and the Cinnamon to a boil.
- As soon as it starts to bubble, add the sugar and stir until it has dissolved. Take out the spices.
- Place the plums close next to each other into your prepared jars & add as many liquid until the plums are all covered.
- Heat the water in the pot again & place the filled jars plus their closed lits into it. The glasses should be covered 2/3 with water. Bring the water to simmer and let them sit for 20 min.
- Let them cool and check wether they are fully closed by checking the lits by pushing the middle. If it makes a cracky noise, they are not closed.
- Plums 1,5 kg
- Redwine of choice 400 ml
- Sugar 200 g
- Water 400 ml
- Star Anis Pods 4
- Cinnamon Rolls 2
- Vanilla Bean 1