Rhubarb-Lentil Curry with Black Rice – “India meets Europe”
The Rhubarb season is total in play and not only sweet dishes are possible with this vegetable. Yes you heard right, the Rhubarb is originally a vegetable! Within this creation we mixed the European crop with Indian spices and coconut milk. The result a spicy-sour curry with flaverfoul Black Rice and some crunchy chickpeas as a topping. Only a few ingredients are used for this simple recipe and you will wonder how great the Rhubarb works with the spices.
Rhubarb short facts:
The rhubarb season begins at the beginning of April. The rhubarb season starting now is quite long. Curiously enough, this ends just like asparagus on June 24th. Then the plants need a rest period to recover for the harvest in the next rhubarb season. Although, this year we may see farmers harvesting Rhubar until end July because of a great season for the vegetable.
Rhubarb has numerous vitamins and minerals that are important to the human body. This includes:
How to do it:
- Peel garlic and ginger and finely chop. Clean rhubarb and dice roughly. Crush coriander and cumin in a mortar.
- Heat coconut oil. Stir in spices and 2 Tbsp Garam masala for 2 minutes while stirring. Add garlic and Inger and sweat.
- Add the lentils and rhubarb, add vegetable stock and tomatoes and bring to a boil. Simmer over low heat for 30 minutes. Add the Curcuma powder.
- Cook wild rice according to the instructions on the package. Wash parsley or basil and chop.
- Add coconut milk to the curry and bring to a boil again. Pre heat the oven on 200 degrees circulating air.
- Season with sugar, salt and pepper
- Take out the chickpeas, season them with 1 tbsp garam masala and a pinch of salt and sugar. Bake them in the oven for 15 minutes until crispy.
- Serve with parsley or basil and serve with wild rice and crispy chickpeas.
Aditional: You can add sugar snaps or other vegetables to make the curry more fresh and tasty.
Source Health facts: https://www.gesundheit.de/ernaehrung/lebensmittel/gemuese/rhabarber-sauer-macht-lustig