Pateis de Nata – “The Blue Morning”
Portugal . Pateis de Nata. Blue Mornings.
A country which changed me. It changed how i perceived the world around me. My mum and dad raised me with a huge sense of magic. The ghosts of the wind, water, forest, stones, elves, dark elves, dwars… this everything was something that I lived with & that i totally believd in.
Of course at one point I came to the stage where i found out that i was basically the only one really believing in them. I felt awkward and of course that is something that a child my age desperatly tries to avoid. Since then i kind of kept it to myself. This changed when i came to Portugal. It was just two or three years ago when I made a tour to the national park of Portugal : Peneda Geres. With its wild horses, mountains that looked like giants would have placed them there to play with them later, whispering fountains, festivals of wiches, taro readers and yurts…what shall i say… it healed something and gave something space in my life which i denied for so long.
I see creatures and natur around me as living wonders. It has never changed.
I could talk about so much more. The people and connections I/we have made back then are still for a lifetime. My spiritual journey started in Portugal & a whole healing process began.
To this: I want to tribute this recipe. With a huge smile in my heart I think back to the moment in which i have tried these little sweet sugary devils the first time.
How you do it:
- For the Filling start with heating the milk. Meanwhile mix the flour, Sugar, Salt and Vanilla in a separate bowl. As soon as the milk starts boiling start adding the flour mixture under constant stirring. Heat it through and pull it from the heat.
- Preheat the Oven to 225°C
- Roll out the Puff Pastry and cut out Circles of approx. 20 diameters and put them into a muffin tray.
- For the stuffing mix the Egg & egg yolks with the Milk mixture and add them equally to the dough.
- Bake the pateis for around 15 minutes before you switch them on grill for 3-5 minutes. Don’t worry if they fall together and the colours become slightly dark. that’s completely normal.
- Puff Pastry 1 Pack (250g)
- Milk 400ml
- Butter 1 1/2 tbsp
- Flour 30g
- Brauner Zucker 130g
- Vanille 1 pinch
- Salt 1 pinch
- Egg 1 organic
- Egg Yolk 3